Tuesday, March 22, 2011

life in the rock

so it has been a while since ive written anything on here, life in the village has been crazy! Each day becomes more and more normal and I am realizing how quickly my time here is going to pass. Its crazy im on my third week here..Dad has really been taking care of me, keeping me safe and healthy and I am truly learning to see His hand in the little things each day.

My internet modem has been broken for the past week or two so I have had lots of down time to read and spend time in the word. Ive been able to go to my familys house and use theirs whenever I need it, and occasionally I can pick up their wifi on my phone with it sitting in the window, which is what im doing now :) The girls have a kindle that they leave at my apartment for school so I started reading crazy love last week. I feel like I am behind the times in reading this but WOW..i couldnt put it down today, I am still trying to untangle all I have taken in from that book. Ive also had my fair share of karen kingsbury that kept me company up to this point :)...i am missing mckays at this point to get the next one!

I thought I would use my netflix to watch 24 while I was here but no internet at my apartment mixed with a slow signal even when I did have it means no netflix...i hope my friendlies at home are getting good use out of it though! So since 24 isnt an option, I opted for the cosby show. Something I never thought I would watch every season of but my family here has them all and lets me borrow them. I spend alot of nights laughing outloud to myself in bed...i am almost on season 3!...its the little things :)

Ive made a few friends, exchanged phone numbers with some people and I started a new hobby, knitting! Ive been going (whenever there is time) to the "netty". Its a place here where girls go every afternoon to do crafty things like sew, knit and crochet. Its so fun and I am slowly learning, they have been a big help. Its also been a good opportunity for me to practice some language and they get in some good english lessons!

Sometimes during the week we travel to villages by car...my seat is in the back :) bumpy, unpaved, small roads arent good for the weak stomach so ive become good friends with drammamine. All I can do is laugh now when im bouncing out of my seat and all around in the back. Alot of the roads here arent paved so there are parts where you have to go through just rocks and water..always reminds me of oregon trail...good thing we dont have to worry about the oxen or wagon turning over :)

I feel like this post rambled but im trying to update everyone...i dont even know if many people look at this but I love to read your comments..its always encouraging to me. Know that im thinking of each of you daily, even those I havent talked to much since ive been here...know that you all are always on my heart!!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

7 comments:

Justin, Kristi, and Reed said...

Mandi!!! Aloha!! Just got caught up on your blog!!! I am so proud of you!! How awesome. You are blessing so many people with your blog, you have no idea!! So glad you are learning! :-) You are precious. Love and miss you tons!!

Anonymous said...

Mandi!! Glad you are doing well. You crack me up with saying western potties seem odd to you now. :) You are truly turning into a "local". I've been to that netty!! They are very nice there. Very cool that you are learning from them there! Hope your students are minding their teacher! :o)

Leah M

Becky said...

Mandi,
I'm reading your posts and loving them. Isn't it amazing how quickly you can actually adapt? I know you are falling in love with this sweet family. I also know how special it will be to have your mom there soon for a visit. You are in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and doing one of the most selfless things. I love you girl and can't wait to see pictures and hear all about this "great adventure" He has you on.

Becky C.

Unknown said...

It is awesome that you can knit, but the only "netti" I know is the one that pours salty water into my schnoz!

Monet said...

Glad you're having so much fun!! We need to skype asap! Love and miss you lots!

Aunt Carolyn said...

Mandi, love to read about your days!! I am excited about the knitting, never got the hang of it past houseshoes in high school. Is there plenty of yarn, etc. to use there? Missed you Sunday at the MAO/80th! So great that your mommy will be there soon. Love you and remembering you to Dad!!

Happie Reading said...

Sweet mandi! I just read all of your posts and caught up on your life. I can't wait to see your lovely face on skype, can we arrange a date soon? Please keep posting because I love hearing even about the smallest things!! You are beautiful and I love you!